Vetiver System: The Soil Healer
Why this method?
Conventional hard engineering interventions that mean to legitimately diminish disintegration are exorbitant and ecologically harmful. Thus vetiver, a C4 plant, has held up as a fantastic green solution to this circumstance.
Vetiver, a plant elevated to preserve soil and water for agribusiness by the World Bank, advanced in the last part of the 1990s has turned into a significant soil bioengineering tool. The foundations of vetiver develop quickly and can accomplish a profundity of 3m in one year. Vetiver can fill in unfavourable soil conditions and outrageous climatic conditions. The vetiver grass arrangement has become a field tried, affordable, environment, and community-friendly, and manageable framework for disintegration control on slants and in drainage networks.
Effect of vetiver grass on erosion control:
The event of disintegration involves the following three phenomena:
• Vetiver canopy scatters raindrop energy and reduces wind disintegration.
• Stems lessen run-off erosion
2. Molecule entrainment:-
• Submerged overhang and stems diminish close bank stream speed, damps disturbance, and scatters wave energy.
• The root framework truly restraints soil molecules.
3. Mass collapse:-
• The root framework diminishes overabundance pore pressures, and impede pushing off totals of soil.
Slope stability and root strength:
When vetiver roots associate with the soil in which it is grown, another composite material with roots of high rigidity is formed. Vetiver roots strengthen soil by the move of shear pressure in the soil grid to tensile incorporations. At the point when the thick and huge root networks act as one, they take after the conduct of soil nails ordinarily utilized in structural engineering works.
WRITTEN BY: Mihir & Samit